The Raj Soin College of Business is proud to be the lead sponsor for the Dayton Business Journal “Forty Under Forty” awards ceremony.
The mission of the Department of Accountancy at Wright State University is to serve the Greater Miami Valley and the State of Ohio by providing qualified students with quality educational programs leading to a Bachelor of Science in Business Degree with a major in Accountancy or a Master of Accountancy Degree.
The undergraduate program prepares students for accounting careers in industry, government and other organizations. The graduate program builds on the undergraduate program to provide students a broader set of competencies designed to facilitate success in professional accounting careers and to qualify graduates to sit for the Uniform CPA Examination in the State of Ohio.
The department designs the curriculum to foster the skills necessary for career development and lifelong learning in a rapidly changing global environment.
To achieve our mission we strive to create a learning environment that:
- Emphasizes teaching as our primary mission
- Recognizes the value of all types of scholarship while emphasizing instructional and applied research as central to our department's mission
- Builds the knowledge and application of information technologies
- Creates partnerships that will integrate theory and practice into the curriculum and promote interaction with the external accounting and business community
- Recognizes the need to continuously review and improve our programs and to provide service to the college and university.
Upcoming EventsThu23May5:30 pmSun14Jul(All day)
Sports, science, entertainment, politics, the arts, health care, education, engineering, owning a business…Tue04Feb20141:00 am
For Wright State University students and alumni seeking co-ops, internships, and career employment.
News & UpdatesBusiness leader, Barry James, 50 students inducted at Raj Soin College of Business Beta Gamma Sigma ceremonyApr 24, 2013
Fifty Raj Soin College of Business students along with Barry James of James Investment Research were inducted into Beta Gamma Sigma, the highest international business honor society...Mar 11, 2013Defense and construction contractors, a college consortium, a computer cabling manufacturer and agencies that help children and families will be among employers sifting for future employees...Feb 5, 2013
Raj Soin College of Business accounting students achieved the highest pass rate in the 2010 Ohio CPA examination, ahead of Miami UniversAccounting remains strong, despite challenges 16% growth expected through 2020 - Dr. James Greenspan quoted.Jul 13, 2012
Friday, July 13, 2012, Dayton Business Journal
By: Olivia Barrow
Meet Our Students, Alumni, and Faculty
The Wright State Advantage
- One of only 178 programs in the nation accredited by AACSB International—The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business, the premier business education accrediting agency.
- Our students achieve consistent national and statewide recognition for their competency in accounting.
- The nation’s only five-time winner of the Institute for Management Accountants Student Case Competition, Wright State is also the only university to have two teams place nationally in the same year.
- Regional and national firms offer valuable internships for our students who consistently achieve high pass rates for the CPA examination.
- Wright State offers an Accounting Leadership Program for high-potential students and an accelerated master’s degree in accountancy for undergraduate accounting majors.
- In 2012, only 300 Universities offer this prestigious Honor Society to qualified students. Wright State University is one of them.
Our Faculty and Curriculum Help You Build Your Competitive Advantage
- It’s Not Just About Math — As an accountancy major at Wright State, you’ll receive more than a solid foundation in accountancy and tax. You’ll take courses covering such topics as communication and business writing, marketing and organizational behavior, business ethics, management information systems, and the global economy you'll gain — a broad-based set of skills that employers are seeking for today’s complex and global world of business.
- Get Involved — Wright State has its own chapter of the honorary society for business financial professionals, Beta Alpha Psi, giving you access to one of only 300 chapters in the world.
- Internships and Mentors — Our faculty’s strong connections to some of the area's—and nation’s—leading accounting firms, corporations, non-profit and government organizations mean prestigious co-op and internship opportunities for you.
- The Business Connection — The Accountancy Department’s Advisory Board and the Dean’s Corporate Advisory Board is composed of a cross section of business leaders from throughout the region and the nation. Through their input about current and projected business trends and practices, the college designs programs that make each student a top choice in the job market.
- Fast Track to a Master’s Degree — By enrolling in Wright State’s Dual-Degree Program in Accountancy, you can earn both a bachelor’s and master’s degree in just five years. Right after graduating, you’ll have both the credentials and knowledge to take and pass not only Ohio’s CPA exam—but any CPA exam in the country.
Tradition of Excellence
Wright State accounting students have been selected for the 16th time to participate in the national case competition held at Institute
Four Wright State University students earned third place in this year’s Deloitte Battle of Ohio case competition.
Wright State celebrated its thirteenth final four placing case competition team at the annual IMA Conference in Baltimore, Maryland.
Once again, Wright State University managed to have a team reach the finals of the Student Case Competition held during the National Con
Five students from Wright State’s Raj Soin College of Business continued the Department of Accountancy’s national reputation for excelle
For an historic third time in four years, Wright State University accountancy students qualified two teams for the recent national final
For an unprecedented fifth time a group of Wright State accounting students under the direction of John Talbott have won the national In
For the first time in the history of the Institute of Management Accountant's National Student Case Competition, two teams from the same
There is no charge for the services provided to you by Career Services. Become familiar with Career Services and the Wright Search. Be sure to attend Career Services activities including mock interviews and etiquette lunches. Learn how to dress as a professional [avoid scents, cover tattoos, remove visible piercing, groom nails and hair, cover midriffs, avoid clunky shoes and short skirts (women), wear a t-shirt under the dress shirt (men), ensure shoes are polished and heels are not worn down].
An orientation is required before your resume can be referred to employers and to participate in on-campus interviewing and the Career Fair. Review the Orientation to the Wright Search at the Career Services website. Download the Registration Agreement, and mail it via U.S. Mail or take it to Career Services, E334 Student Union. The Registration Agreement MUST have your original signature. Office hours for Career Services are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Electronically upload your resume to The Wright Search. This will ensure that your resume is available for employers to review. Upload your resume every 30 days to ensure that your resume remains in the active database for employer review.
Carefully review resume preparation techniques at the Career Services website and below.
Recruiters for accounting positions want GPAs to be listed on resumes. Recruiters want information about the student's intention/eligibility to take the CPA examination. The following is a suggested format for the education section of the resume.
- Raj Soin College of Business, Wright State University, Dayton, Ohio
- Bachelor of Science in Business, graduation date
- Accountancy [Accountancy and Management Information Systems; Accountancy and Finance]
- Minor in Management Information Systems
- Master of Accountancy or MBA, graduation date
- GPA x.x (no need for three decimal places)
- Eligible to take the CPA examination in month, year
Download: Sample Resume (PDF)
Wright State Career Services offers mock interviews with video taping and personalized feedback sessions. Details on the Career Services website on the Manage the Interview page. Review interviewing techniques, particularly behavioral interviewing questions.
The manner in which you handle yourself during the interviewing process reflects not only on you, but also on your peers and Wright State University.
- Show up for scheduled interviews and accept interviews only with employers and in fields that interest you.
- Do not schedule an interview for practice. Missed and practice interviews waste the time of the interviewer and deprive another student of an opportunity to interview. If you wish to practice your interviewing skills, schedule a mock interview with Career Services at (937) 775-2556.
- R.S.V.P. when invited to recruiting events.
- Reflect carefully before accepting a permanent position and regard the acceptance of a job offer as definite. Employers are annoyed by students who accept jobs months before they graduate and who, at the last minute, decide to work for another company. Often the position is subsequently filled with a graduate from another university.
Obtain the application for Academic Scholarships for Continuing Students from the WSU Office of Financial Aid. Applications are due on March 1. Scholarships are awarded in May.
- Leonard P. Roberts Memorial Scholarship
- AICPA Minority Scholarships
- Battelle & Battelle LLP Scholarships
- James W.Blain Scholarships
- Deloitte & Touche LLP Accounting
- Excellence Award
- Ernst & Young LLP Scholarships
- Flagel, Huber, Flagel & Co. Scholarships
- Williams L. Gans Scholarship
- Russell H. Hereth Scholarship
- Howard L. Magner Scholarships
- Jacob B. Paperman Scholarships
- William I. Schoenfeld Scholarship
- Thomas D.Weeda Memorial Scholarship
Visit the RaiderConnect Loans, Scholarships, and Grants page for a more comprehensive list of accounting scholarships.
Department of Accountancy
240 Rike Hall
3640 Colonel Glenn Highway
Dayton, OH 45345-0001
Phone: (937) 775-2377