Member Dean's Student Advisory Board, Vice President, National Association of Black Accountants "It is imperative to stay up on your first year in college. Many students fall behind academically and it hurts them in the long run. Students should meet with teachers often, especially in classes where they are struggling. I cannot tell you how many times that extra effort helped my grade tremendously! Charles Long played an important role in my success at WSU. I would suggest that students meet with their advisors quarterly.
The mission of the Department of Accountancy at Wright State University is to serve the Greater Miami Valley and the State of Ohio by providing qualified students with quality educational programs leading to a Bachelor of Science in Business Degree with a major in Accountancy or a Master of Accountancy Degree.
The undergraduate program prepares students for accounting careers in industry, government and other organizations. The graduate program builds on the undergraduate program to provide students a broader set of competencies designed to facilitate success in professional accounting careers and to qualify graduates to sit for the Uniform CPA Examination in the State of Ohio.
The department designs the curriculum to foster the skills necessary for career development and lifelong learning in a rapidly changing global environment.
To achieve our mission we strive to create a learning environment that:
- Emphasizes teaching as our primary mission
- Recognizes the value of all types of scholarship while emphasizing instructional and applied research as central to our department's mission
- Builds the knowledge and application of information technologies
- Creates partnerships that will integrate theory and practice into the curriculum and promote interaction with the external accounting and business community
- Recognizes the need to continuously review and improve our programs and to provide service to the college and university.
The Wright State Advantage
- One of only 178 programs in the nation accredited by AACSB International—The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business, the premier business education accrediting agency.
- Our students achieve consistent national and statewide recognition for their competency in accounting.
- The nation’s only five-time winner of the Institute for Management Accountants Student Case Competition, Wright State is also the only university to have two teams place nationally in the same year.
- Regional and national firms offer valuable internships for our students who consistently achieve high pass rates for the CPA examination.
- Wright State offers an Accounting Leadership Program for high-potential students and an accelerated master’s degree in accountancy for undergraduate accounting majors.
- In 2012, only 300 Universities offer this prestigious Honor Society to qualified students. Wright State University is one of them.
Our Faculty and Curriculum Help You Build Your Competitive Advantage
- It’s Not Just About Math — As an accountancy major at Wright State, you’ll receive more than a solid foundation in accountancy and tax. You’ll take courses covering such topics as communication and business writing, marketing and organizational behavior, business ethics, management information systems, and the global economy you'll gain — a broad-based set of skills that employers are seeking for today’s complex and global world of business.
- Get Involved — Wright State has its own chapter of the honorary society for business financial professionals, Beta Alpha Psi, giving you access to one of only 300 chapters in the world.
- Internships and Mentors — Our faculty’s strong connections to some of the area's—and nation’s—leading accounting firms, corporations, non-profit and government organizations mean prestigious co-op and internship opportunities for you.
- The Business Connection — The Accountancy Department’s Advisory Board and the Dean’s Corporate Advisory Board is composed of a cross section of business leaders from throughout the region and the nation. Through their input about current and projected business trends and practices, the college designs programs that make each student a top choice in the job market.
- Fast Track to a Master’s Degree — By enrolling in Wright State’s Dual-Degree Program in Accountancy, you can earn both a bachelor’s and master’s degree in just five years. Right after graduating, you’ll have both the credentials and knowledge to take and pass not only Ohio’s CPA exam—but any CPA exam in the country.
Student & Alumni Spotlights
Department of Accountancy
240 Rike Hall
3640 Colonel Glenn Highway
Dayton, OH 45345-0001
Phone: (937) 775-2377